GSBA's superintendent search team can help your board find the CEO that's right for your district.
The selection of a Superintendent of Schools is one of the most important functions performed by a local board of education. When superintendent vacancies occur, GSBA provides technical assistance to local boards at their request to help them organize and conduct a systematic and effective superintendent search.
The Application Process
Applicants should not contact the Board of Education directly. Information is available in the announcement for each search. Contact us one of these convenient ways, if you have questions.
Superintendent Search Service
Georgia School Boards Association
5120 Sugarloaf Parkway
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
(770) 962-2985 or (800) 226-1856
An application package must contain at least
the following four items. Please read the announcement of the search for which you are applying to see if there are additional items that are required:
- a formal letter of application addressed to the board indicating a desire to be considered a candidate
- a completed application
- a resume that lists three references
- official or photocopy of official college transcripts
Mailed applications should be postmarked no later than midnight of the deadline. Hand delivered applications must be in the GSBA office by 4:30 p.m. of the deadline.
Before Starting Your Application
1) Read the announcement thoroughly for instructions and the criteria that the board has set.
2) Applications are system-specific. Use the one related to the system to which you are applying and read the application thoroughly before starting.
3) Click HERE to read Helpful Reminders and Tips.
GSBA reviews the applications and sorts them based on how well they align with what the board has published as the criteria. The board of education is given ALL of the applications so they can make all of the final decisions. Applicants selected for interviews by the board will be contacted by the search leader. When interviews are scheduled, it is noted on the status chart (see link also on the left side of this page). It is only after the interview process and after the board chooses finalists that the names and other information on just the finalists are made public according to state law. The board must wait 14 days after announcing finalists to make their final selection. The status chart is updated to reflect the board’s decision as soon as possible.
Searches Currently in Progress with GSBA
The following is a list of the current searches being conducted by GSBA on behalf of local school systems.
Additional Superintendent Vacancies (searches not being conducted by GSBA)
- Meriwether County School, Greenville, GA – Application deadline is October 31, 2014
- The current superintendent who is retiring is part-time (49%), but the board is seeking a person who will be a full-time superintendent.
GSBA is also a member of the National Affiliation of Superintendent Searchers (NASS) an organization supported by the National School Boards Association (NSBA). NASS is a nationwide network of experienced search professionals from other state school boards associations. For a list of superintendent vacancies nationwide, as well as additional information on NASS, click the following link:
The following Georgia search is not being conducted by GSBA. For additional information regarding this search, click on the school system name.